Video games have begun to be vital to attract the new generation to work. This article specifies which are those that are applied in the development of skills.
Through a video game you can learn complicated scientific concepts.
The emotional and immersive way of interacting not only provides curricular competences, but also other learnings such as decision making or creative thinking.
The facilitator and the videogames
- All videogames, both «serious» and commercial, have a lot of potential for education. Trainers have the obligation to introduce video games.
- Trainers do not necessarily have to be expert players to be able to teach concepts to students through video games.
- The main mission is not entertainment but learning or practicing skills.
- Currently, video games are already used to learn math, languages, and concepts about the environment or to acquire linguistic skills.
- They are used in many sectors of society as a resource for practical learning: pilots, firefighters, scientists, engineers or members of the defense body use them to carry out tests and simulations.
6 examples of video games applied in the development of skills
1. – Minecraft. Develops different aspects such as teamwork, organization in a digital space, acquire fluency with the keyboard, encourage creativity, and self-assessment.
2. – Portal. You can learn about a three-dimensional space.
3. – Spore. It is useful to teach biology, specifically, about the evolution of living beings.
4. – Journey. It is used to analyze art.
5. – Animal Hero Universe. It improves certain cognitive abilities in children with Down syndrome and fosters a more creative and fun way to learn.
6. – Isolated. During the game, players must interact with other characters: decide what to do and how to survive extreme situations on an island. It helps in the development of social, emotional and cognitive skills.